Qualities of the Best Marijuana Rehab Programs
Marijuana rehab is a necessary step for someone who is addicted to the drug. Because “it is more likely to happen if they use marijuana every day, or started using it when they were teenagers,” people who are fighting with marijuana addiction should consider rehab (NLM). Marijuana addiction usually occurs as a result of chronic marijuana abuse, and someone should consider the qualities of the best marijuana rehab programs before choosing one to attend.
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment
Most marijuana addicts do well as outpatients. According to a study from the NCBI, “Seven published, randomized efficacy trials for primary adult marijuana abuse and dependence have consistently demonstrated that outpatient treatments can reduce marijuana consumption and engender abstinence.” Outpatient programs also allow patients to live their lives while they are receiving their necessary treatments.
If you are looking for a marijuana rehab program and you are not addicted to any other drugs, outpatient treatment will probably be the best option for you. However, there are other issues which many marijuana addicts often deal with as well, including:
- Mental disorders
- Depression, bipolar disorder
- Polydrug addiction
- Addiction to other drugs in addition to marijuana
- Little or no support system at home
Someone who is also dealing with any of these issues might consider inpatient treatment. Essentially, the best type of marijuana rehab facility is the one that fits your needs as a patient and a person.
The NIDA states, “Currently, no medications are available to treat marijuana abuse.” There are studies being done on THC and whether it could be a good treatment for addiction. It is also sometimes used to treat marijuana withdrawal. But overall, you should rely on behavioral treatment to get you through rehab.
Because different people respond better to different types of therapy and counseling, the best marijuana rehab program is one that offers more than one type of behavioral treatment. Some of the more common types are:
- CBT or cognitive-behavioral treatment
- This type of treatment is wonderful for someone who is taking their rehabilitation into their own hands. It teaches patients to self-monitor, learn more about all the sides of their drug use, and help to change the way they think and feel about marijuana.
- CM or Contingency management
- CM usually helps patients who have just begun rehab for marijuana addiction. It uses positive reinforcements to promote abstinence, taking the place of the reward the brain gains from the marijuana high.
- Group therapy
- Group therapy is a great way for patients to get to know other people who have similar issues and to grow from that bond. Many patients say that group is a positive experience for them.
The Most Important Aspect: Flexibility
In marijuana rehab, you may feel that a particular type of treatment isn’t working for you. But that does not mean you should give up. Rehab programs that have flexibility and allow patients to change their treatments when needed are extremely helpful to patients. Sometimes, a person will stay longer in marijuana rehab if the program changes to fit their needs. Remembering these aspects of the best marijuana rehab programs will be important when you are choosing your facility and program type.